Feature services allow you to serve features over the Internet and perform edits that can be applied to the server.
Feature services provide templates that can be used for an enhanced editing experience on the client.
Data from relationship classes and nonspatial tables can also be queried and edited using feature services.
The editing in Dekho 4 and ArcGIS10.1 is done over Feature Services.
Publishing a Feature Service is very similar to publishing a Map Service.
The client system ends up getting vector data (features) instead of rendered images (mapService image).
The web client is capable of editing the layers and modifications are stored back in the SDE database.
How to setup
1. Create an MXD and add some editable layers (make sure the FeatureClass is registered as versioned). The layer must come from an SDE data source.
2. Publish to ArcGIS Server using | Menu | Share As.. | Service.. |
3. In the publishing wizard, tick FEATURE SERVICE (that’s how ArcGIS knows you will be editing this Map Service)
4. Open ArcCatalog and look at your GISServers, you should see your new editable FeatureService in there
5. Create a new Dekho Config MXD and drag in this FeatureService.
5.1 WARNING: ArcGIS10.1 users will see two new services in ArcCatalog : one “MapService” and one “FeatureService”
It is important that you add the MapService and (ironically) NOT the one called “featureService” into your Dekho config.
6. Edit the description field for the editable feature service : FEATURESERVICE=TRUE;
7. You can also drag in another map service such as MDS background
Any Dekho user can edit/modify a layer. The Dekho editing has extended editing functionality, including : .
| Add | Delete | Edit Attributes Fields | Split | Reshape | Merge | Undo |
Editing is not as advanced as ArcMap.
Edited Layer must be in a SDE Database table (not SHP files, not .GDB)
Q1. I can’t publish my layer as a feature service.
A1. Verify that the data comes from an SDE database table
Check that the layer is “registered as versioned” in ArcCatalog.
You may need exclusivity over this layer to change some settings (No one else using it at the moment)
You may not have permission to modify the SDE layer (database security restrictions)
Q2. I cannot edit the FeatureService of my config MXD in Dekho.
A2. Did you remember to edit the Description field?
Re-open the config MXD, and check the properties of the FeatureService.
Make sure that the description field shows “FEATURESERVICE=TRUE;”
Q3. During the Editing, not all attribute fields are shown. Why?
A3. Fields such as Strings, Integers, Float (values), dates will be editable. There are field types which will not be editable. The following field types will NOT be editable :
| Blobs (binary data) | GUID | ObjectId | Shape | Shape.Len | Shape.Area |
Q4. What if I only want to edit some of the attributes and not all of them?
A4. In ArcGIS10.1, there is a concept of “Feature Template”; The user can select which field is editable.